Causes of Summer Acne
Acne is the inflammation of sebaceous oil glands in the skin, which happens when pores become clogged and allow blackheads or whiteheads to form, either of which can become inflamed and tender.
Common causes of adult acne include fluctuation in hormones, stress, and other factors.
In the summer, a few other things can exacerbate acne flares:
- The rise in temperatures causes skin to produce more oil, which can lead to clogged pores.
- Our bodies naturally sweat to cool off, but this sweat collects dirt, dust, and oil. These stick to the face due to the sweat and clog pores.
- Using sunscreen that is oily or comedogenic can also clog pores.
If you’re suffering from breakouts due to summer acne, there are a few things you can do.
- Make seasonally appropriate changes to your skincare regimen. For example, swap your heavy moisturizer to something that is lighter or oil-free.
- Make sure the products you put on your skin are non-comedogenic and oil-free. This includes everything from your moisturizer and your make-up to your sunscreen. Visit the Sunscreen Bar at the Med Spa for a great selection of sunscreens that will protect your skin from the harmful UVA and UVB rays, without clogging pores.
- Pay attention to your cleansing routine. It is important to wash your face twice a day and after a workout. Also make sure that you are using the right cleanser for your skin type. Check with one of our providers to find the right products for your skin type.
- Prescription treatments. Sometimes a little more is needed than a cleansing routine. Our providers can prescribe topical treatments with retinoids that increase cellular turnover and help oil move out of the follicle properly, decreasing the acne flare ups, as well as prescriptions to decrease inflammation.
- Chemical peels. Sometimes a superficial chemical peel can be used to treat acne, to improve both inflammatory (pimple) and non-inflammatory (blackhead) lesions.
If you’re having flare-ups this summer, or have been suffering from adult acne, call today to make an appointment with one of our dermatologists or estheticians. At Davie Dermatology & The Med Spa, we have a wide range of options to fit your skin type.